Thursday, May 26, 2011

Jakarta

I flew to Jakarta yesterday. I really didn't want to come here! I had to go to Bangkok (which I do want to do) in order to fly to Vietnam. It worked out much cheaper to fly from Bali to Jakarta and then to Malaysia (I hadn't made up my mind if I was going to go here or not) and finally to Bangkok (well Phuket and then I will take a train up to Bangkok). The flights were even cheaper if I stayed for a little while in these places. So I leave Jakarta on the 29th for Malaysia and then leave there on the 4th of June.

Jakarta is lovingly referred to as the armpit of Southeast Asia, and I can see why. It's even dirtier and dingier than Bali! It's a different culture completely as well and I'm excited about that. The whole purpose of this trip was to experience another life. Jakarta, like the majority of Indonesia, is Islamic. There are mosques everywhere here. When we were flying over the city I could see them all over. I have yet to see one up close though as I'm too afraid in this city. People have responded to me kindly but I think that's mostly out of curiosity, and I don't feel comfortable venturing too far from my hotel. I know there is one very close though because I can hear the Imam? singing the prayers every few hours. I used to think that it would sound odd, but it's really quite beautiful.

My hotel is actually a bed and breakfast and it is absolutely beautiful! It's a very large house with a nice pool, amazing grounds, and rats the size of large cats. They stay outside though so I'm okay with it. I think this house is from a colonial period...maybe from the Dutch. It's beautiful though...decorated with antique, stately furniture. My room has air conditioning and hot and cold water. I spend most of my time in there because it feels so good to actually be cool. I slept with a blanket on last night!!! I haven't done that in a month. Also, it was cool enough in my room that I took a not so freezing cold shower. The best part though: my room has a towel, toilet paper, and soap. It's good to get one or two of them, but tovget all three is a bloody miracle! I pay $15 a night. One of the guys here pays $30...sucker!

It was sad to leave Kuta though. I made a lot of good friends...western and local. I was on the verge of tears (unheard of for me I know). The little kids were sad too, but I will save some money now seeing as how I spent most of it buying them ice cream on the beach. I am going to go back there before I fly back to Canada though...it really felt like home to me.

In the meantime I will be updating y,all.

Love love

No comments:

Post a Comment