Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bad News First?

I don't want to scare anyone, because the bad news isn't really that bad. Then it will be foloowed up with really awesome news.

So, I took the bus to Kuta yesterday and made friends with a older, Swedish man. This was kind of nice...just to have someone to talk to. Then he started to get creepy, so as soon as the bus stopped I managed to ditch him. At that point I walked around for awhile to find a new hotel. I finally settled on one that was cheap and close to all the action here. Also, I just wanted to get my backpack off!!! It was so hot wearing it! My back was literally soaking wet. Ok, now here is the bad news. My hotel is a total dump! Serioulsy, the shower head (hose showers) was in the toilet, the toilet doesn't work, there is no sink, no soap, and no towel, and they don't turn the electricity on until 6pm when it starts to get dark. It's a good thing I'm never really there.

So, good news now!

1. My sarong has come in very handy...it is a scarf, a bandana, a shawl for my very burnt shoulders, a blanket for the beach, and a towel! In fact I am going to buy another one right after this...well after I eat breakfast.

2. I have had no trouble sleeping or waking up. In fact I have to tell myself that I want to sleep more, but most times I can't. I haven't slept later than 7 yet. Yesterday I was up at 5 and felt like a champ. I think my body loves it here!

3. I went a little crazy with buying stuff yesterday. This is good and bad. Bad because now I have way too much stuff, and I already  left some stuff at my hotel in Sanur. Good because I have been so cheap and the stuff is so cute.

4. Best news though...I have already made so me friends!!! I was on the beach yesterday and one of the locals was talking to me. He also knew these other people from Canada. They are from Saskatoon...Julia and Chandler. So I hung out with them for a bit and watched the sunset (I am going to have to do that again tonigh, but this time I will take my camera). After that we went our separate ways to shower and then to meet up for dinner. I got lost on the way to the warung we were to meet at and stopped some white people I saw. Turns out they were also looking for the same place and so we just went together. They are from Australia...Max, Calum, and Brogan. Chandler and Julia showed up and we all just sat together. Afterwards we went out to a couple clubs. One of them was a raggae club. All of them had bands playing and they were all very good. The Australians have a hotel in the same alley as me, so I made them walk me home. It was so much fun!!! We are all meeting up for lunch today. In the meantime I am going to rent a bike and do a tour all around Kuta. Tomorrow I will ride the bike up to Legian, and then Seminayak the next day. Not too sure what day it is today, but I think it's Thursday. So, on Sunday I am going to take a bus down to Ulu Watu for a day and see a supposedly fabulous temple. After that it will be time to move on and I will take a bus to Ubud to the monkey jungle. This is one of the most talked about areas in Bali and apparrently is where Liz stayed in Eat, Pray, Love.

And here is where I was going to put some pictures up for you, but it was taking forever and then the session just closed. So I'm giving up for today. I will try again in a couple days. In fact this is hours after I wrote the above.

However, the last few hours have been fairly adventurous. I went to rent a bike but the boy there didn't speak any English, so I just went to the beach instead. When I was there one of the locals came up to me and told me that Andre was looking for me. Andre is a local that I made friends with yesterday. I found Andre and sat with him for awhile and then he took me around to find a bike. It was a little scary considering how they drive here and we were on a "motorbike." Eventually, we ended up at the same place and Andre just translated for me. After that we went back to the beach and all the local boys had fun riding the bike on the beach. It was seriously like Christmas...and they aren't young boys either. I also shared some gum with them and all they could say was WOW (over and over again).

I left shortly after that to meet up with the Canadians and the Australians for lunch. Now we are here at the internet cafe and then going to sit on the Canadian's balcony. It is super hot here today and it just rained, so it is extra humid right now. this day calls for ice cream and a sit in the shade. Later I will head to the beach for sunset though. I think the Canadians will join me, but Chandler is sick today, so maybe not.

Love love.

4 comments:

  1. And the adventures continue! Watch out for those monkeys ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! I just read Eat, Pray Love a couple of months ago and that was actually the first thing I thought of when I found out you were in Bali. Too funny. Glad you've found some friends, but really, how could you not. You're like one of the friendliest people I've ever met. Take care of yourself, and stay away from creepy old Swedish guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're loving it.

    And I'm not jealous at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your adventure. I'm glad that you were able to make friends so quickly but feel free to run away from anyone you think is remotely creepy!

    ReplyDelete