Monday, May 2, 2011

Captains Log: Day One

Yay! I am in Bali! For the most part it was a fairly painless journey...though my butt might disagree. I managed to limit my sleep for the trek so that I could pass out when I got here at 11 last night. I didn't sleep at all on Saturday night, but I did sneak a couple hours in as my dad drove me up to Calgary. For the rest of the 23 hours I would sleep 20 minutes or so every few hours. It worked! I slept like a baby last night and thus far avoided the jet lag. Other than the lack of sleep and the brief moment of being completely lost at the Seoul Incheon airport, and feeling like a complete outsider for being the only white girl on 2 very long flights, it was a seamless journey. I landed at 10:53pm to a temperature of 27•C and humidity so high I could feel it through the airplane! Made it easily to my hotel and slept like a baby. I got up early this morning (7am is very early for me) and made my way to the beach. I had no idea how to get there, so I just started walking down the road. The side roads are about the size of the sidewalks at home, and they drive trucks down them!!! Anyways, I just kept walking till I found a main road with a sign pointing to the beach. I did the 4km walk along the sea wall and then continued walking around aimlessly to find the tourist office to buy a bus ticket to Kuta. Eventually I let a cab take me there. From there I easily found my way back to my hotel...only an hour walk away. I'm too cheap to pay for a ride when I'm able to walk. It's a good thing both my jobs require me to be on my feet all day. I do think though that I have a sign on my forehead that says sucker. I bought a sarong from a vendor today just because she tried to help me find a map. I'm really going to have to get over this guilty conscience thing. Anyways, I'm back at the hotel and going to go for a swim and lay by the pool so I can get rid of some of the tan lines I already have...my sunglasses, my money pouch strap, my bag strap, my sandals, and the strap of my camera around my wrist. I will try to put up a couple pictures tomorrow when I am at a computer. Right now I am just using my moms iPod touch...so slow. LOL!

P.S. You can smell the humidity in the air, among other things, and my hair still hasn't dried from my shower 5 hours ago! Also, I'm worried I'm not going to be able to sleep much here...it's too hot for me to sleep at home sometimes when it's below zero and my window is wide open! Last night was ok, but I think that might have just been because I was so tired.


Love love

5 comments:

  1. Well, seems like an adventure around every turn. Lol! Seriously, though. Looks like you're gonna have a blast and for that, I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read more of your adventure! Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! I would be totally chicken to go on such a trip myself. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to hear about your journey, but you need to start adding some pictures too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sun, humid warm air, beaches...so far Bali sounds great!

    ReplyDelete